This week, African Union works to save South Sudan’s fragile peace. M23 rebels and DRC government plan direct talks in Doha. Israel and Hamas continue to disagree over ceasefire terms.
African Union Works to Save South Sudan’s Fragile Peace
After South Sudan’s First Vice President Riek Machar was placed under house arrest last week, the African Union (AU) is working to save the country’s fragile peace. On April 2, mediators from the AU arrived in South Sudan’s capital of Juba for talks aiming to avoid another civil war, Reuters reported.
The AU delegation arrived with a ‘Council of the Wise,’ which included former Burundian President Domitien Ndayizeye and former Kenyan judge Effie Owuor. This was after the AU made a statement on April 1 calling for Machar’s “immediate and unconditional release,” saying that recent events threatened Sudan’s 2018 peace deal which ended its civil war.
Machar’s SPLM-IO party said in a statement that it “warmly welcomes the arrival of the Council of Wise” in the ongoing peace and de-escalation efforts.
Machar, the long-time rival of President Salva Kiir, was arrested on March 26. In a video address, opposition spokesperson Pal Mai Deng said that Machar was being confined by the government, and that his life was “at risk.” South Sudan’s government said on March 28 that Machar was under house arrest and would be investigated on charges of trying to stir up rebellion.
South Sudan experienced a civil war in 2013 between Machar and Kiir. Kiir accused Machar of plotting against him, and Machar was removed as vice president. This led to brutal violence between armed groups supporting both figures. In 2018, a peace deal was agreed upon, however, many issues remain. Although the agreement ended a five-year civil war that killed over 400,000 people, talks stalled after Kiir sacked the former government delegation to the talks.
M23 Rebels and DRC Government Plan Direct Talks in Doha
The government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and M23 rebels plan to meet for direct talks in Doha, Qatar, on April 9, sources from both sides told Reuters on April 1. A source within M23 said that it would present Kinasha with its demands, while a DRC government official said the talks were scheduled for April 9 “unless the other side misbehaves”. The sources noted that both sides have agreed not to publicly discuss the content of the talks.
After M23 captured Goma, the largest city in eastern DRC, on January 27, nearly 3,000 people were killed in fighting in the following weeks. More than 500,000 people were forced to flee their homes.
DRC’s neighbor, Rwanda, has actively backed M23, as revealed in an investigation commissioned by the UN Security Council, however, Rwanda denies supporting the group.
The presidents of Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) also met in Doha for peace talks on March 18. A joint statement issued with Qatar said that “The Heads of State then agreed on the need to continue the discussions initiated in Doha in order to establish solid foundations for lasting peace.” In the past, DRC President President Felix Tshisekedi has refused to meet M23 for direct talks. The government’s plans to meet with M23 for talks on April 9 therefore show a change in approach.
Israel and Hamas Continue to Disagree Over Ceasefire Terms
Israel and Hamas continue to disagree over the terms of a potential ceasefire. Hamas favors a ceasefire put forward by mediators Qatar and Egypt, while Israel has made a counter-proposal in full coordination with the US, which Hamas has decided not to engage with, an official told Reuters on April 2.
The mediators’ proposal, part of the January 17 ceasefire agreement, would extend the ceasefire for another 50 days. It included the release of 21-year old American-Israeli hostage Edan Alexander, a soldier in the Israeli army, the day after the ceasefire is announced. The proposal also included the release of four other Israeli hostages, with one hostage returned every 10 days, in exchange for 250 Palestinians held by Israel, and releasing 2,000 from those who were detained after October 7.
Other parts of the mediators’ proposal include the cessation of Israeli military operations, opening crossings to allow humanitarian aid in, and re-opening the Netzarim Corridor to allow cars to enter from the south to the north and vice versa.
Israel’s counter-proposal includes the release of 11 living hostages, and half of the deceased hostages in return for a 40-day ceasefire, a senior Israeli official told CNN on March 30. The outlet reports that a total of 24 living hostages, and the bodies of 35 deceased hostages, are believed to still be in Gaza.
This development comes after last week, Israelis and Palestinians both protested for peace. On March 25, hundreds of Palestinians in Gaza protested against the ruling Hamas government. Demonstrators chanted, “Out out out, Hamas get out,” and, “We want to end the war.” This was just days after over 100,000 people in Israel took to the streets of Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and other cities, to demand a deal between Israel and Hamas to release the remaining hostages.
Palestinians and Israelis have both suffered massively from the war since October 7, with over 1,200 people killed in Israel, and nearly 50,000 Palestinians killed in Gaza, according to the strip’s health ministry.
Keywords: peace, DRC, Congo, M23, South Sudan, Israel, Palestine, Gaza, conflict, conflict resolution